Saturday, March 14, 2009

PORTLAND FLOWER SHOW

Thursday's flower show was a great way to get a glimpse of spring and escape the winter white landscape that surrounds us here in Maine. Mom and I stood in line ten minutes before the doors opened and let me tell you the "Southerly"breeze off the ocean was cold! Once inside, however, the sights and sounds quickly transported us into another world.Let me begin by saying I am not a photographer nor do I have fancy photo equipment. I take pictures to the best of my ability. I was a wee bit disappointed with the flower show. Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed it very much and I will go again next year, however the " magic" just was not there. For Example a lovely white Lilac, I love Lilac's they are one of my favorite spring flowering trees, however, this setting seemed to "Blah". Succulents and herbs planted in a old recycled lobster bucket. I did like this idea and I do plant in old "whiskey barrels."I love Delphinia and this color blue is one of my favorites. It was planted with Pansy's and Nicotiana. Very pretty.Geranium's inter mixed between a flag stone pathway. A campfire against a "Maine" woods setting. Very inviting. I can taste the marshmallows!A hard scape waterfall, the sound was very tranquil. I would love this in my backyard.A lovely Weeping Mulberry tree planted with a mixture of bulbs, perennials and other flowering shrubs. Loved the color of the Hosta's against the field stone
Finally, color. A mixture of annuals and perennials against a Maine Cottage. Shells on the windowsills, Adirondack chairs on the porch, spade left in the dirt. An inviting scene, you just want to sit, drink some ice cold lemonade and watch the boats sail by. The stone table is set for dinner, the moon is full, a lovely woodsy backdrop. How very romantic and inviting. But there's a catch, if you live in Maine you know this scene is almost impossible. You see we have Black flies in the Spring, then it's Mosquito's till a good hard freeze and if that is not enough to keep you out of the garden the Tick's will get ya!
Till next time.







3 comments:

A New England Life said...

At least you were able to have a taste of Spring! Have you ever been to the Boston Flower Show? It's an absolute mad house! I doubt I'll ever go back and it's been years since I last went.

Your last paragraph had me cracking up! So true!

Eve said...

Ha Ha!!! Julie you need a dome over your yard so you can enjoy it at night!!
I have never been to a flower show! Can you believe it!! I really should go I didn't realize they set up ideas for gardeners...I guess I should have known that. Well, I think you did a good job and a fine commentary! Now I love that lobstah bucket...gotta get one of those!

Cedar ... said...

I like the setting with the campfire, maybe the smoke would keep the black flies and mosquitos away?