Sunday, August 2, 2009

THE FLUME

Saturday we woke to a lovely sunny summer day and opted to forgo chores and take a field trip. We headed to Franconia Notch, New Hampshire home of the Flume. The Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mt. Liberty. The walls of granite rise 70 to 90 feet and range 12 to 20 feet apart. Every year hundreds of feet of the Flume's pathway is removed due to large amounts of ice build up on the walls of the flume gorge. Ice can become 3 to 4 feet thick and rise up to 80 feet on the walls. The pathway is rebuilt every spring to enable visitors to walk this lovely trail. The hike was 2 miles, lots of spots for photo opts, and the mist of the flume keeping you cool along the way.

Yes, thats me in the black shirt, see my hair is gone!
Honey, take the darn picture we're holding up traffic!

What a beautiful day, um honey, did you close the coop door?


7 comments:

Eve said...

DID HE??? Yeah I got to see your haircut!! Julie this is a wonderful post. I never heard of that place and wow that is awesome! Scary...but awesome! Glad you had a fun time!

Cedar ... said...

I've driven through Franconia Notch but didn't stop to do that. I can see I must go back to see the Flume. Beautiful photos! Coop door? Was that a clucking I heard down the trail from you,... probably the girls wanted to go with you! hee hee....

Leslie said...

The Flume is a beautiful place. I am not sure I would be as brave as you are and walk up the wooden trail. It is amazing that they rebuild it each year. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Rural Rambler said...

I agree with Eve, this is a wonderful post. And it is always so nice to put a face with a name Julie/Dog Trot. The Flume is absolutely amazing and what a wonderful thing to read about.

And honey, what about that coop door?! The girls are counting on you!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Gladys and the girls were safe and sound, coop door locked! The Flume was a beautiful hike, great activity for a summer day. Glad everyone enjoyed the post.

A New England Life said...

I always wanted to take my girls there but we never made it. Somehow the time slips away all to quickly when they're growing up.

Glad you put off chores. Bah humbug on that!

I like your hair! Not sure how long it was before but it looks good and quite fashionable at the length it's at now : )

Sharon

Danni said...

Ok. How can a woman who just chopped off all her hair, still have SO MUCH hair left? You definitely got the incredible hair gene. lol. You are gorgeous, Julie! And what a wonderful day!
Ooooh, I hate "oh yeah" moments like you had with the coop door. Ugh. Glad it turned out ok! :-)