Thursday, October 7, 2010

FRYEBURG FAIR PART 2

Before I begin let me just state it was very difficult to obtain a clear view while taking photos of any sort. Tuesday, the day I attended the Fryeburg Fair also happened to be senior citizen day. Needless to say it was extremely crowded. Now, believe me when I say I have nothing against senior citizens- good for them to be out and about enjoying the beautiful day, but let me say I have never seen so many motorized scooters in my life. Why, scooters were zipping around every which way. Keeping that in mind, here are the photos to part 2 of my day at the Fryeburg Fair. This beautiful quilt captured the winning Blue Ribbon....and there were preserves....pickles, relish, jams, jellies, if you could dream it up, it was there. How nicely they were presented....


The fowl.....I did bring a cage with me....yes I did....The first chicken I noticed....A naked neck also known as a Turken. Poor thing I felt sorry for her, but not sorry enough to take her home. Remember I have feather peckers, I don't need the girls getting any ideas, like sporting a naked neck. Well, she was not for sale. Does this girl remind you of a vulture, or is it just me?
Now due to the crowds, I was not able to read all the information offered on the breeds.


This fella was quite handsome. A feathered footed Lemon something or other....

and this fellow....

and this fellow, why is it the smaller the bird the louder the voice....but both quite stunning

The Frizzle....


in white....


now you see me now you don't....


I could have snatched up this little lady in a heartbeat. Alas, not for sale....dang....

another handsome boy, I swear he posed just for me....my girls just don't want or need any testosterone in their coop....he is a looker....


another possibility....again not for sale....her feather's were just beautiful.... and just look at the feather pattern on this girl....beautiful....nope, not for sale.... this little lady. oh right excuse me gentleman.... well she would have been perfect....If she had not been a he.... and there she was....a petite little thing....the apple of me eye....and also an egg....just for me....I looked for her information....and what did I see....SOLD....DANG!
Yup, it's sad but true.... my cage came home empty....no banty hen for me....not yet anyway.

13 comments:

Emily said...

The fair looks fabulous! Is it 4H related? I've never seen some of those chickens before. They're great!

Farm Girl said...

My crystal ball is becoming clearer and clearer, I think I see a flock of assorted bantams in your future in the spring. You should get at least a couple, they do have the most amazing personalities. I enjoy them very much and they don't take up that much room. I have a small little coop off to the side for mine. I do have to keep them separate because they don't know they are small and always want to take on the biggest and meanest hen.

Too bad about the scooters.My grandmother will be 100 in April. She might punch you if you even suggested one to her. She still lives alone in her house, and still has her garden and her chickens and you would never know she is that old. She thinks people get old because they want to and give up.

Eve said...

Well Julie...you need to get them from day one don't you!!! I mean isnt it better if you get them young??? Well, they are all just beautiful and I do like the last one. I'm sure you'll find something this spring!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

What great looking chickens. All except the vulture like one. He is scary looking. The quilt was just lovely.

Gail said...

Great pictures and sounds like you had a wonderful time.

moosecraft said...

Oh my goodness! What beautiful chickens! I didn't know there were so many different varieties... I especially like the feather footed gent... he can do double duty by dusting the floors he walks on! LOL! I think the sweetest one is the last one with the egg... such a calm demeanor... but, then again, I do like the way the frazzle tucked her head in... LOL! So much fun!

Unknown said...

The more photos I see the more surprised I am at all the different breeds. I have a lot to learn! There were some real beauties at this fair. Thanks for letting me tag along. : )

~Andrea~

Rural Rambler said...

Dang Julie! I was all excited reading that! My pick would have been the little gal in the bottom picture :)

Denise said...

Thanks for the "taste" of the fair, I think we will just wait until next year as we are getting some much needed cleaning done today and we need to go with the flow.....

I have been afraid of chickens and roosters since I was a little girl, my aunt had a large coop and plopped me down in the middle of them and of course they came to my knees and since then I get nervous being around them. If not for that I have thought how fun it would be to have my own egg producers! They are beautiful especially the rooster in the #4 picture :0) of course no eggs from him, LOL.

Enjoy the weekend in our beautiful state.

Farm Girl said...

I have a blogger award for you Julie, I don't know if you do awards but I have one and it is yours if you want it. My husband said all kinds of things about them this morning so I am unsure if I should have done this but I am following the rules. :) So it is there if you want it. :)

Anonymous said...

It would be so hard for me to pick out just one. What beauties. You did a great job taking their pictures. I just love the little donkey.

Rock River Stitches said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time at the fair and look at all those pretty chickens!

Tammy

Verde Farm said...

Oh how I love that quilt. I would have snatched that up but I bet it was a pretty penny if even for sale?

I know what you mean about the scooters. I went to Atlantic City a few years ago and it was a senior citizen convention...not at all a bad thing --good for them but the scooters were out of control :) LOL

What beautiful chickens, I mean wow! I would be happy to ship a few bantam hens your way. I mean it, I have some great ones you would love :)
Amy