Wednesday, July 27, 2011

THRIFTING

Okay, I confess I have a thing for shoes...the funkier the better...so when I spied these sandals..and my friend announced "oh.. they look like you"... well...I just knew they were destined to come home with me... and did I mention they were on sale! I admit I am still a novice when it comes to thrifting...and to be honest I don't usually discover many good finds...however...at Goodwill...my little five year old friend pointed out this cutting board with a rooster motif...I had walked right past it.... however....Elizabeth...promptly pointed it out to me saying"I knew you would like it Miss Julie".... Elizabeth...a darling blond cherub has been thrifting since the day she was born...this kid knows her stuff...and she knows I have a fowl addiction going on... BTW the cutting board was priced at $1.99

next... an old metal frog .99

wooden candle holder $1.99

this colorful colander was headed for a church yard sale...the asking price .25 cents...
it seem to call to me.... not being primitive in style.... but daises are my favorite flowers and teal my favorite color...I knew it would be right at home in my kitchen...

another weakness I admit to is pocket books....not Coach nor Dooney and Burke...but Vera Bradley...Vera's colorful bags put a smile on my face and just plain make me feel happy....


also.... this happens to be the first article of clothing I have ever purchased from Goodwill.... well.... that is for myself anyway....I do buy my scarecrows clothing there... a brand new Jones of New York long sleeve sail shirt....teal in color and priced.... $2.99 and finally.... this happens to be Winslow Homer's weakness... chicken treats....99% dehydrated chicken...this is a secret that Winslow (who is also known as "chicken dog") and I keep from Gladys and the girls....




could that be why I catch the girls giving Winslow the "Evil Eye"? That's it from Dog Trot Farm...


Happy thrifting everyone!

13 comments:

acorn hollow said...

wonderful finds love the chicken board and the shirt. Thrifting is one of those things the more you do the better you get at it.
Cathy

Jacque. said...

WOW...great finds, Julie! Glad you had a helper. {grin}

Pondside said...

The sandals are great!
I have a feeling that the girls can smell chicken on Winslow Homer's breath!

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Wow! You sure found some goodies! I'll bet they already all have a new home. Are you "beating the heat"? Our temps are supposed to starting heading up again! Have a great day, Dawn

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

You have to be a regular thrifter to find the goods. I miss my thrift store from the old house. This new one up here isn't as good. You found some great things. That candle holder is really unique. I'm hoping to discover a better thrift store as I get to know the area.
Courtney

Farm Girl said...

I love those shoes, they are really cute. I would have taken the colander home too. I remember when my grandparents kitchen was that color. I was only 4 or so. I see that color now and I always feel safe.
Do you know when I first got chickens, I was fixing dinner one night and I had a package of chicken breasts, I counted that four hens had lost their lives so I could fix dinner. I just stood thee staring. It took me a long time to eat chicken again.
It is funny what having chickens and hens that you know personally changes how I know for me how I view the world.My family though I had cracked. :)

Larkrise garden girl said...

I have not been thrifting in a while I have too busy taking things to thrift stores. I have too much stuff.You have a good eye!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Love those sandals!

The Barn Door said...

Always love seeing your thrift finds! But I especially love your painted toes!!!

Wyoming Focus said...

Can you believe another "Winslow" and a Winslow that love chicken strips. I have a corgi Winslow and does he love chicken strips. Thrifting usually isn't on my list of to do but my sister has shopped Goodwill for years. It's a good thing.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

hi julie...i love everything you got..same things i would have picked out too...LOVE the rooster cutting board !!!

teddy loves chicken treats too...well, actually ..his mommy makes him cooked chicken alot..that's what he had last night..chicken picatta without the picatta :-)

happy to stop by today, my friend

kary and teddy
xx
hugs to winslow !!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Julie ~
What wonderful goodies. I rarely find anything but I guess I don't go often enough. Plus, I REALLY do not need any more stuff. I could open my own antique/thrift store...lol!
Happy weekend.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Flat Creek Farm said...

Fabulous thrifted finds! Handpainted chicken boards must have been the thing several years ago. Earlier this year I inherited most of my dear grandmother's chicken themed items - one of which was a handpainted rooster cutting board. Very similar to yours! Also you've reminded me to go shop for scarecrow clothing at GW :) have a wonderful weekend - I always enjoy catching up at Dog Trot Farm! -Tammy