Sunday, October 9, 2011

GOOD SUNDAY

Good Sunday...In the early morning hours... when darkness begins to fade and dawn is fast approaching... the rooster begins to crow... it is time for my feet to hit the floor. This day will be warm and inviting... temperatures will reach the mid eighties... regardless of this beautiful Autumn day... crunch time is here... time to put one's nose to the grindstone and complete the remainder of the outside chores. Winslow...ever present by my side...is still adapting to his blindness...as am I. I do think I miss his eye sight more than he. The chipmunk population here at Dog Trot Farm has become quite bold... acquiring side by side dining accommodations with the chickens...and the squirrels...brazen in their attitude...boastful in their chatter... the cornstalks have been stripped of their corn...which I was hoping to dry and dip in scented wax...only the cobs remain tossed about helter skelter in the yard...and finally...the demise of another hen...Fern..a Silver Wyandotte...I neither heard nor witnessed anything out of the ordinary...but unfortunately later in the day discovered a yard full of feathers and a corpse laying at the edge of the woods...my guess... a dog. Let me just say chicken keeping is not for the faint of heart...and to top it off the older girls...my two year olds... are still on strike...no eggs...NADA...but my lovely dainty banty's...each produce one or more eggs a day...I hope you all are taking advantage of this beautiful day whether it be...apple picking...a hayride, or constructing a scarecrow. These days will be memories before we realize it...I shall salute this day with a cold glass of apple cider...right after I finish painting the house...cheers!!

17 comments:

Eve said...

I know it must be just beautiful up at Dog Trot Farm Julie. You are such a hard worker! So sorry to hear about Fern. May she rest in peace. Glad Winslow is soing well. We will have to talk soon! Miss you!

Julia said...

Julie, what a beautiful rooster. Imagine not needing an alarm clock to wake you up in the morning.

So sorry about loosing one of your beloved hen. Maybe the weather is so up and down it's hard on the poor birds. Poor Homer, getting old is not for the faint at heart, even for dogs.
Painting the house? You have more energy than me. I had to take a nap before going to the barn today, I couldn't even muster enough energy to clean out my garden. JB

Debi said...

Happy to hear that Winslow is still scooting around. I hate the news about Fern; how sad. It sounds like chicken keeping has its challenges. Love hearing about fall weather in Maine. I know it must be gorgeous. I hope to find a little cider too. Seems only fitting in the season to have a little cup.

Kim said...

Sorry to hear you lost another of your girls. Poor Winslow can't guard them anymore. It was a gorgeous weekend here too. Record breaking temps.

Farm Girl said...

So sorry about your hen. I have one that is going down hill fast, and I have no clue why. I wonder what got her, it has to be something that wasn't hungry, you think?
My bantams I would say my best little layers. The always lay. My big ones go on strike quite often. I am getting eggs but not enough to share.
My girls say that the eggs from the store stink.
I do hope you have a lovely week, and I am so sorry about your hen.

Cathy G. said...

Crunch time indeed! This warm and balmy weather we've been having tends to lull us into thinking maybe winter will hold off for a bit longer!!
Another hen gone Julie..... oh my you are a good strong soul to endure these losses!
Glad Winslow is doing well....... each day is an adjustment of some sort isn't it!!
Hugs from WI!
Cathy G

Rugs and Pugs said...

Julie ~
So sorry to hear about Fern! Life on the farm is not easy.
It was also a gorgeous day today on Ohio's north coast. To me, this is perfect weather. Oh, how I wish it could last until spring!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Jacque. said...

Sorry you lost Fern. Not for the faint of heart, indeed! The day was beautiful here, as well.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Winslow Homer is such a trooper!Bless his heart. Too bad about the little Hen . I agree Chickens have many dangers all around them plus the sky! This
Sunday was a relaxing day and went by fast!Hugs Cheri

Pondside said...

I'm sorry to hear about Fern. We've lost hens to raccoons this fall and it's awful.
Yes, we raise some hens for the freezer, but they are not our laying girls, who live out their lives to ripe old age in sunshine.

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Sorry to hear about poor Fern. Makes me wonder if I should continue with my plan to go ahead with chickens this spring. The weather has been so lovely. Glad to hear that Winslow is adjusting.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

So sorry to hear about Fern. Poor Winslow Homer I'm wondering what he thinks when he can hear all the goings on and can not see them. He is such a good dog I bet he just goes with the flow. Hope your house painting goes well, so much work.....

Ginny said...

Sorry to hear about Fern. give Winslow a big hug for us from Ginnysyard.

Rock River Stitches said...

What a beautiful rooster pic! So sorry to hear about Fern. I guess I could never have animals on a farm, I would be devastated when they would die.

Tammy

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Yep, farmin' is definitely not for the faint of heart! Death is just part of 'farm livin'. {{{SIGH}}}

Sorry for the loss of your Fern sweetie.

God bless and have a better day! :o)

Flat Creek Farm said...

So sorry about Fern :( My girls are still partially on strike as well. 4 eggs (average) per day out of 15 hens. Hmmm, and for quite some time now they've been molting. I need to know more about this dried corn dipped in scented wax. :) -Tammy

Terry and Linda said...

You are so right about chicken raising...it is not for faint of heart. And dogs seem to be the worst...they kill just to kill. At least I get comfort for the real predator that will then EAT the remains.

Sigh!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com