Friday, November 11, 2011

SHORT NOVEMBER DAYS~

"November comes
and November goes,
with the last red berries
and the first white snow.
With night coming early,
and dawn coming late,
and ice in the bucket
and frost at the gate.
The fire burns,
and the kettles sing,
and earth sinks to rest
until next spring.
~Elizabeth Coatsworth
The month of November...where shadows are cast in early afternoon... primitive lighting adds ambiance to the country home...
battery operated candles have become my favorite primitive decorating accessory...seeing I almost burnt my house down last week...here's a tip never burn cheap candles...I found out the hard way...the dehydrator is humming along...the fragrance of oranges and apples fill the air...once dried this fruit will be used in swags and potpourri... Pamela, proprietor of the blog "Our Pioneer Homestead" offered her blog readers suggestions in primitive decorating along with directions for primitive craft ideas. Below is one of Pam's projects, a Hanging Colonial Candle Dipper. I made two, one to hang and dry herbs (sage and mint from my garden drying for Thanksgiving) the other to hang candles. ( Where are the candles you ask? I am still in the process of making them) The Laura Ingalls School Slate...Pam mentioned that she had difficulty locating slates and improvised with a frame from the dollar store. I on the other hand had no difficulty locating a slate, but finding plain old white chalk was near impossible. Yes, there is an abundance of colored chalk and sidewalk chalk...I asked my friend to swipe (okay borrow) a piece of chalk from her daughter's classroom ( she volunteers)...nope no chalk...no chalk in a classroom...I ask you what is this world coming to?... Needless to say I am pleased with the way my slate turned out...engraved on the front top of the frame is Laura's initials and age and below the date...There are many more craft ideas offered by Pam also for the month of December she will be offering primitive Christmas ideas...Thank you Pam, I am so happy I discovered your blog, you are one talented lady and very generous with your ideas...
This is where Winslow Homer spends his November days, warm and toasty in front of the wood stove...what's that you say? another stick of wood...Have a great weekend everyone...

20 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I loved seeing the idea for drying your herbs-I should have picked all my mint and dried it but it's too late now. Love seeing Winslow-he is so cute. Have a great weekend.
Noreen

Cathy G. said...

Julie,
Your home looks so toasty and inviting! Almost too toasty though for comfort with your candle incident! :0 I've had a few close calls like that too so now I am really careful while burning candles!
Love your drying herbs and chalk board! It's fun to change the messages for the seasons!
Little Winslow looks like he is doing great!
Stay warm and healthy!!
Cathy G

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I love all your warm November touches! I'd love to see a post on those candles! I'll bet they come out beautiful! I think Winslow Homer has found the best spot in the house! Smart puppy!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Julie ~
So glad your candle incident wasn't serious!!! Cheap candles are just not worth the risk!
I must check out Pamela's blog. It sounds interesting and informative.
Glad to see Sir WH. I was hoping he was still okay since you hadn't posted about him in a while and I was afraid to ask.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Kim said...

I love that furry little face!

nancy huggins said...

I just dehydrated some apples and not real happy with the way they are turning out..How do you do yours and could you please share how you make your swags. Love the picture of Winslow..smart little guy knows where to stay warm and cozy :)

The Barn Door said...

That Winslow Homer is just so darn cute!! Going to check out Pam's blog.

Rowan said...

What a lovely post, I really like the poem at the beginning. I shall also go and look at the blog you mention, it sounds my kind of thing. Dehydrators seem to be cropping up on blogs that I read quite a lot recently and I'm going to have to consider getting one, I really like the idea of drying apples and oranges for Christmas decorations.

Razzberry Corner said...

You are so organized. I haven't thought about Christmas gifts, nor even planned or decorated for Thanksgiving! I'm just trying to make it thru the weekend! I need to get myself squared away - thanks for the encouragement! :) We haven't yet started up our wood stove, but today I'm thinking it would be nice! It's cold out there!

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Julie a lovely post. I like peeking inside your home. Winslow has the right idea. Have a nice weekend Julie!

Pondside said...

Things look cosy at your house.
I'm glad you didn't burn the place down - good tip about the battery candles. I've seen them but never bought any....yet!

alemão said...

linda casa

Larkrise garden girl said...

Winslow homer found a great spot! What a beautiful day.I need to get some little lights.Thank you for the beautiful picture of November.Cheri

Janice said...

Very nice. I am loving all your great photos celebrating November. I am fairly new to your blog, and was delighted to meet Winslow Homer!

Debi said...

Oh Julie, I could feel the warmth from your fire as I read this. I love all your fall decorations. It looks like Thanksgiving. We have a woodstove too and the dogs all lay around in front of it. Stay warm.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Your home is very inviting. Good thing your a state away, I would be one of those people who visit and never leave. Sit me down in front of a roaring fire and I'm all set for the day. Winslow Homer is a very handsome boy!!

Ellen said...

Oh your fire looks so inviting. I used to love our wood burning stove when we lived in Missouri. Here in Arizona, we don't even have a fireplace, but I guess there is not much need for it. We will have our first winter here and we will see. AND - Winslow Homer, you are a beautiful boy!

Terry and Linda said...

This is a wonderful WARM post!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Flat Creek Farm said...

I've so missed my visits here (and Winslow Homer)! Love this post, and since I'm a lifelong Laura fan.. I think I need that slate... :D have a great week! missed ya! -Tammy

Pamela@ The Sampler Makers Farmhouse said...

Oh my word, your projects turned out so wonderfully!!! I love your slate!!! And Your candle dipper WOW!
I am so glad you had fun and tried out a few of the crafts :)
Pamela