Thursday, July 12, 2012

WHO'S HOUSE IS THIS?

This old weathered saltwater farm house is one of my favorite places to visit. Located off the beaten path, in a small Maine village...this house proudly stands...One step through the front door and you soon realize you have walked into history...the farmhouse is empty with the exception of a few original items...


the old kitchen stove remains ...

as does the original slate sink...

field cut wildflowers displayed in canning jars are scattered throughout the house... and geraniums adore the kitchen window... just as they did many years ago...

across the street and down a well trodden path you will find a small family cemetery...there the inhabitants of this home and the artisit who made them and this house famous rest...now, lets see if anyone knows the answer ...who is this famous artist? and couple?... anyone? the answers tomorrow...

16 comments:

Larkrise garden girl said...

I know I know! I think Andrew Wyeth's home,It's beautiful Cheri

Mugwump Woolies said...

Is it the home of Andrew Wyeth? The famous painting of the girl...Christina ? was painted in Maine. The shot with the geraniums is gorgeous!!! Love to see this someday.
Robyn

Chris said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pics. I miss seeing amazing places this this. I miss Maine and New England. Is it A.W.?

Melody said...

tomorrow?.....*sigh. O.K. then, I guess I'll have to start searching the www. now.... :))))

Earlene said...

Wow love your post!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Don't know, but how fascinating...what a great tour

Pondside said...

It's beautiful. I like to imagine the stories such a house could tell. I'll be back to find out who lived here!

Farm Girl said...

Okay just a guess, Winslow Homer?
I know you named Winslow Homer after him so he must be a favorite artist.
I named a steer I had once Atticus Finch. Because I loved To Kill a Mockingbird so much. So I am just guessing.
It is a lovely house. I can't wait to find out the answer. I love that you have so much history around you.

Kim said...

Just so you know - this is driving me crazy. I even tried to cheat and google for an answer. LOL
Can't wait for the answer

Kim said...

Andrew Wyeth?? Olsen House??

Peacemom said...

I know! I know!! It's Andrew Wyeth at the Olson House where Alvaro & Christina Olson lived. And where Christina's world was painted, and Andrew actually used his wife as the model, and not Christina. We've been there many, many times because my parents live about 1/4 mile from the house. Andrew Wyeth has been a favorite artist of my husband's for many years. Thanks, that was fun!!

Peacemom said...

Oh Julie, I forgot to mention, I have a fun picture I took of the neighbor's horse, Sassy hanging out in the front door of the house. She definitely seems to have an affinity for the old homestead!

doglady said...

Christina's?

doglady said...

Oh the artist is Andrew Wyeth. I didn't read the whole entry.

Janice said...

Lovely. Oh, if those walls could talk! I can see why this is a place you love to visit.

annie said...

Nary a clue, only the house looks like the one from Little Women, Louisa May Alcott, Duh?????