Sunday, November 18, 2012

MRS DOUGHTY'S CRANBERRY RELISH

I love anything made with cranberries... bars, pie, breads, I enjoy them all. The  cranberry relish recipe that I am sharing with you was given to me by my mother...and given to her by Mrs. Doughty...Mrs. Byantha Doughty was the lone island school teacher when I was a girl...teaching in a one room school house, 15 students, covering grades K through sixth...I hold dear such wonderful childhood memories from those years and I always think of this lovely lady when I prepare her recipe...

Cranberry Relish:
1 bag fresh cranberries
2 cups white sugar
1 cup walnuts chopped and toasted
1 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Toast walnuts and set aside

Mix cranberries and sugar together, place in shallow baking dish (I use a four sided cookie sheet) cover with tin foil and bake in a pre heated 350* oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, add toasted walnuts, recover and return to oven baking 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in marmalade and lemon juice to cranberry mixture, cool to room temperature. Transfer into sterile containers, (I use ball jars) cover and store in frig. at least three hours before serving. I typically make a double batch which will(hopefully) get me through till the New Year...Enjoy!!!

11 comments:

annie said...

that sounds so good!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Sounds yummy!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I love cranberries, too.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs :)
Lauren

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I'm a huge fan of cranberries also. Maybe its a New England thing. Thanks for a new cranberry relish recipe. You can never have enough cranberry recipes.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

aren't old fashioned recipes the best? i have been making my cranberry relish for almost 40 years and it was old when i got it.

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Julie, yum yum, gotta love cranberries.......I agree, love the old fashion recipes....Thanks for sharing, Hugs Francine.

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without Byantha's cranberry relish. Save a jar for me please.

Farm Girl said...

It sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I will be making it so I can think of you in Maine and going to school on the island and this being the school teachers recipe. That is so very cool.

Kelly said...

This is a wonderful recipe. I love cranberries too. This will be our cranberry dish for Thanksgiving. Much Love.

Janice said...

Your relish recipe sounds wonderful. I'm going to give it a try.

Terry and Linda said...

My Momma used to make one something like this one also. Thanks for the memory and the recipe!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Mary@BarnBugStudio said...

Thank you! I wasn't sure what to do about the cranberries yet. My sister-in-law, who usually brings them, isn't coming this year. This sounds perfect!