Sunday, November 1, 2009

GHOSTS OF HALLOWEEN PAST

I love Halloween. I love the colors black and orange and old Halloween memorabilia. Our sons are now grown and Halloween isn't quite the same. No preparing costumes, trick or treating, or Halloween parties. So as a couple of empty nesters DH and I have begun our own Halloween traditions. Winslow dons a costume, this year I made him a chicken hood, but he was too embarrassed to pose. At twilight we head to a most magical place, "The North Gorham Cemetery". Now DH and I have been going to this cemetery walk for the past five years. This event is credited to one gentleman. Not only does he carve all the pumpkins, (we think he must have help, our son says "no") but he purchases them as well. A jack-o-lantern is positioned on each gravestone no matter how high or low. We drove by the cemetery in the late morning and saw no evidence of pumpkins. On our return through a few short hours later the pumpkins were all in their places.
At dark the magic beginsThe rains came early, but It was still a most amazing sight! I Hope your Halloween was as "Spooktacular" as ours !











11 comments:

Genny said...

That's amazing. What a wonderful tradition. Does he have help putting the pumpkins in place and taking them down? I love it.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Our youngest son Tristan is close friends with this gentlemen's nephew Chad. Both Tristan and Chad claim he puts this event on by himself. We wanted to offer a monetary donation, but were told he accepts none. I think the pumpkins might be given to a local pig farm when the event is over.

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

that is neat! we have an old cemetary on our farm. the pumpkins are a respectful tradition! how nice!

Eve said...

Julie I am so happy to be able to actually see the tale you have told me over the years. You did such a wonderful job documenting this tradition. I feel like I was right there with you! Way to go cuz and cuzer-in-law!!!
The pumpkins are fantastic, that man is a carving genius for sure!

Rural Rambler said...

What a fun and nice tradition, both the cemetery pumpkins and you and your hubby taking the walk on Halloween. Great pictures too! Cool pumpkin art!

Priscilla said...

Wow the pumpkins look amazing on the gravestones! How unusual, thank you for sharing!

Priscilla x

DayPhoto said...

OH! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I loved this visit very much!!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Tanks for the photos. I cannot understand why the media has not picked up on this after all these years. I understood that all the families helped with this work but if he does it all that makes it even more spectacular.

forrest evans said...

Hey, the next step can be taking the pumpkins and making pumpkin soup and pumpkin pies!

Unknown said...

What a neat and spooky idea. Sounds like a fun walk!
~Andrea~

A New England Life said...

That's pretty wild. I can't believe he does all that. What dedication, not to mention some of them are quite a balancing act! Thanks for showing us something so unique!