Saturday, November 21, 2009

A "HONEY" OF AN EGG

There was a lot of whispering going on in the barnyard yesterday. It all began with Gladys and Willa.... who couldn't wait to tell what they had overheard to Lucy and Henny.
This "buzz" was all about Honey my sweet little Buff. Gladys just had to stroll by and give Honey a once over. Humm...could be true I suppose. She then went to inform Pip of what she had overheard. Not one to draw attention to herself, Honey took it all in stride.You see I went to collect eggs yesterday morning and everyone had performed their daily duty but little Honey. She was still in the nesting box. I quietly watched and waited, after a couple of strong pushes Honey's egg plopped out. She made her usual vocal announcement and off she went ( but did seem to be a little slower in her movement). I gathered the eggs and went into the house and decided to line the eggs up when I realized my little Honey had bestowed upon me the largest egg in Dog Trot Farm egg producing history.
I had to find out just how much this beautiful egg weighed.
Well, if you can't read the scale Honey's egg weighed in at a little over three ounces, yes three ounces! ( Now I realize why Honey was moving somewhat slower yesterday afternoon). I would be too. I've given Honey the day off - I think she's earned a well deserved day lazing in the sun.









13 comments:

Danni said...

Oooooooh!! You weighed your egg...I *love* important details like this. And DANG - 3 ounces. That's one enormous egg. Way to go, Honey! :-)

Dog Trot Farm said...

Honey spent a very relaxing day in the sun and has regained her strength. Her egg was one very large double yoke, delicious!

Eve said...

What are you feeding her...small children???

Rural Rambler said...

Julie I just so enjoy your entries about your feathered ladies. The pictures are great fun and the girl's whisperings and murmurings that you treat us to are the icing on the cake. I will be looking forward to the next Dog Trot Feathered Buzz! I think you really like that little Honey Buff!! I didn't have a clue what eggs should or do weigh but from the picture it looks to be pretty impressive.

Eve, you are funny!!! :)

Dog Trot Farm said...

RR I believe a store bought egg weights an ounce and a quarter to an ounce and a half.

Rural Rambler said...

Whoa Honey! And owie.

chook said...

your girls are so pretty. and good layers! mine have pretty much stopped for the winter. they are about 2 1/2 years old and i'm not sure how productive they will be from here on out.

Jenny wren's nest said...

My guess is you have a double yoker, Jenny

Birgit said...

Good for Honey for taking the day off. That must have been quite a bit of work, carrying that around and delivering it all on her own.
Happy belated birthday to Winslow H. too!
Hugs to you~ Birgit

Vickie said...

Have you ever had a triple-yolker?
Don't know if they make those or not...

If I were Honey, I'd be walkin' 'round kinda jake-legged, too! Good chicken!

DayPhoto said...

Wonderful egg. Just wonderful! I get those giant things once in a while. And that egg is never sold. I use it to cook with!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Leslie said...

That is HUGE! Poor Honey, she is going way beyond her duty. I recently saw a blurb on the news about a chicken laying a record size egg. The farmer was interviewed and he showed the egg. (It was abnormally shaped and very big). I thought it was going to be one of those interesting/happy animal stories but at the end he said, unfortunately she lost her life laying that egg. I was bummed and surprised to hear that. Tell Honey that is big enough, don't try to set any records!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Leslie Honey's egg was a double yolker and she repeated herself again today. This egg however, was as large but not as heavy. I've told her she does not need to prove anything with her egg size, there is to be no competition among my girls. Vickie I have not had a triple yoker. Might happen?