Monday, December 7, 2009

WINTER TREAT

Our winter wonderland is still with us, not much happening in regards to melting snow. Chicken prints, I love seeing them in the snow.
The "girls" are still undecided when it comes to all this white stuff.
Sunday morning was the first time the chickens did not come racing out of their coop. I think they realized the world as they knew it had suddenly changed.
A bit confused, huddled together, holding one foot up, patiently waiting for me to shovel a path which they hoped would lead to "greener" pastures.
After watching the girls spend most of the day trying to locate something green, I decided to whip them up my version of a "pumpkin hot toddy".
I cooked a pumpkin, scraped the insides ( seeds and all) put it in a blender, added a little milk and refilled the pumpkin shell. When served on a platter, you have some very happy ladies, who in return give you wonderful, large eggs. (And no complaints!)
Well maybe one, a few blueberries on top would have been nice.











12 comments:

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

your home is spectacular! love the front of the house! and your chicken coop is darling...what a nice and thoughtful chicken mama you are!!

Anonymous said...

And I thought my hens were spoiled! Your girls are lucky! We built our hendome (low hoophouse) for our girls on Sunday, as they were not impressed with the snow.

Dog Trot Farm said...

A hendome what a great idea. I'm sure your girl's will appreciate not having to walk in that white "stuff"! KK thank you for the kind comments. My belief is if you take good care of your animals, inturn they will take good care of you.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful home you have, the chicken house is adorable.
I would love to see that snow.
Love the chicken prints in the snow!

Cedar ... said...

Your house looks so pretty! Love how you cooked up goodies for the girls!

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Your home is beautiful. I also love the darling chicken coop and your chickens!

Jenny said...

Those are defintely the best kept chooks in the whole wide world! (-:
They're soooo sweet all huddled together there!

Leslie said...

Last night was our first real freezing night. I worried about them being too cold. Your pictures make me feel better :)

Your coop is super cute! (Your house is too)

I love the pumpkin hot toddy idea, I bet they made that noise mine do when they get something delicious. It sounds just like they are saying yum yum yum while they are eating.

Rural Rambler said...

Julie I love the chicken feeties prints in the snow. And just when I thought your girls' coop couldn't get any cuter, you decorate it for the Holidays! Well OF COURSE, slap the flat palm side of my hand to my forhead!! I think those chicken inspired stuffed pumpkins look pretty dang tasty :)

Sandy said...

I really enjoyed visiting your blog. I liked all the info about "Little Women". I will be back to visit. I'm going to add you to my blog list on my blog.
Thanks
Sandy
http://loveyatostitches.blogspot.com

It's me ...Mavis said...

It's been so cold around here that I cooked up a butternut squash for our chickens too... I feel guilty always stealing their eggs. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who does this :)

DayPhoto said...

Thanks for the pumpkin idea. I like to make them warm oatmeal.

What brave girls, my hens never leave.

Linda
http://prairierunner.wordpress.com/