Friday, August 6, 2010

HANDWORK

I love the art of rug hooking, especially "primitive" rug hooking. I happened to wander into our local Salvation Army Store the other day and found this hoop and piece of linen for $.99 cents, actually it was $.50 cents as everything in the store was half price that day. If you are familiar with rug hooking you know I found a deal you just cannot pass up. I'd hoped this little piece of linen would get me back into the "swing" of hooking. So many of you out in blog land find the time to become "ten minute hookers" I'd hoped your inspiration might rub off on me. I mean come on, ten minutes, anyone should be able to find ten minutes to donate to a craft they enjoy. So today I sat out in the yard and doodled a little design and began hooking. I needed a little break away from my Fall "pals".
Once upon a time I did my fair share of counted cross stitch....
I love the satisfaction of seeing something I have created hanging on the wall....
But then... I found myself wearing glasses, then bifocals, then a magnifying glass hung around my neck, and cross stitch lost it's appeal. Not helping me was the fact that I can never find my glasses when I need them most. The most famous words around our house are "honey have you seen my glasses?"
This summer I tried my hand at making a painted floor cloth. The instructor wanted me to free hand this project with a sponge paint brush. Now I have done my fair share of painting projects to know this was not going to work, not for me anyway. I returned home, sanded the floor cloth down and taped out the lines. I gave it three coats of black and robin's egg teal paint, one coat of a primitive stain and three coats of "Min Wax" waterproofing. The end result was better than I expected.
Next time, oh there will be a next time, I will know what I am doing.
And this little lady, well she is taking up so much of my time, I mean come on Lu-Lu I'm just asking for ten minutes.....

15 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I love seeing all of your handwork, your floor cloth turned out very nice.
I have always wanted to do that too.
You did get a bargain for 50 cents.
I have even wanted to get a button on my site to be a 10 minute hooker, but it isn't the ten minutes, it is the that it would turn into a hour because I would be so drawn in.
I still love your pumpkins. Since yours was the first blog I ever read, I think it was seeing your hooked things that made me want to get back into hooking.
Did you ever finish that fantastic rug you were working of the farm scene? Way back in the winter?
Have a great weekend. I am glad you did get some hooking time in today!

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Yup, you gave me some inspiration. I would love to get back into hooking and learn lots more! Thanks for sharing, Dawn

Ali said...

I love the floorcloth! Dan and I have been talking about painting one fore ages, I know he'd love to create a mariner's compass design. You may need to hold a workshop!

Kim said...

Finding that hoop and fabric was a sign to get back to hooking! I used to cross stitch many years ago also, but wanted something quicker and larger - that's how I found hooking. Say hi to Lu-Lu.

Eve said...

I love your handywork Julie...why can't I take ten minutes to do something with my hands....nothing that needs seeing close up cause my eyes are gone! I have no idea about that floor cloth..how do you sand a cloth? Did you paint that right on the floor??? Surely not. I hope your crafy friends aren't laughing at me!!!! If they do just tell them I'll meet them with my Harley and see if they can start it up and take off!! :-)

Pondside said...

That was definitely a serendipitous find.
I'm a 10 minute blogger, but I'd like to find another block or two of 10 minutes for some of the other things I love. Work gets in the way!

Rural Rambler said...

Well Julie I'm thinking that is pretty good little design you doodled!! I want to want to hook. I think my problem is that I am not crazy about my first hooking pattern. I think I need to find something that makes my heart sing and get to hookin'! I love seeing your HANDWORK and it's nice to see a Lu-Lu of a chicken this morning too.

Finegan Antiques said...

Where DOES all the time go? I think we all suffer from time deficit. I swear sometimes I am abducted by aliens or something because before I know it an hour or two is gone and I don't know where or how it got to be so late. Good luck in finding your 10minutes and when you do please share your secret.

Donna

from me to thee......... said...

I just started my new rug hooking project the other day...primitive #9 cuts, love it...I also use to LOVE to cross stitch. Use to count, now a do a more free form primitive style...but, you are so right, handwork is so satisfying.

moosecraft said...

"come on Lu-Lu... I'm just asking for 10 minutes!" LOL! Have me giggling on that comment! :-) Love the floor cloth and your hooked horse is looking great too! Enjoy!

Jacque. said...

I'm right there with you regarding the counted cross stitch. Getting older is not good for the eyes. LOVE the floor cloth. Glad to see you got a bargain...hope you continue on with your rug hooking. I may never go back to it, though I do have 2 rugs that I really would love to finish.

Kathy in KY said...

Hi Julie - I'm still planning on learning rug hooking, but have put it on the back-burner for now since I am getting ready for a move, and am also working on a small afghan for a friend's puppy. And I just bought the book Knitting for Dummies - so my winter months are going to be consumed with crafting - can't wait. I have a beginners rug hooking kit that I got from Seasport Rug Hooking, just need to make that 10 minutes to take a look at the directions. Thanks for the link to that site btw. Good to see LuLu looking better. You do wonderful free-hand drawings - beautiful. Take care, from down south in the bluegrass region of KY.

Gail said...

Beautiful work, although I could never count and keep my place.

The postal service is debuting a stamp of Winslow Homer.

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

that is a cute design...glad lulu is getting better...you are very talented and should make little stools and sell them on etsy! i would buy one...

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
Love the way your floor cloth turned out. I took a class once to make one........not as easy as they look! I also did cross stitch ...bought some repro. patterns for retirement......now it is too hard on the eyes!! If you need some rug hooking inspiration, visit Camp Wool in Kennebunk Lower Village....pure country bliss! Happy Hooking!
Cindy