Wednesday, August 3, 2011

MACKWORTH ISLAND WALKING SALAD

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...so says the old adage... after the night I endured....all I need to say are the words gastric-intestinal....I would gladly consume an apple a day to keep myself healthy. While reading the newspaper this evening I stumbled upon not only a recipe, but what I think is a great idea too....and yes it calls for an apple.

Vesta Rand's Mackworth Island Walking Salad
One apple, cored, I might use a Cortland or Macintosh
Peanut Butter
Fruit- Sweetened dried cranberries or cherries
Pecans, walnuts or almonds, chopped
Flax seeds ground
How easy is this, core an apple, mix the above ingredients together and stuff. Wrap apple in wax paper, tin foil or plastic wrap. Now you have a perfect walking or cycling pick-me-up.

If one has a peanut allergy Vesta suggests using cream cheese or lemon hummus with sweet dried fruit or savory ingredients with olives, celery, and crumbled turkey bacon.
I myself would need to add a few chocolate chips, raisins and possibly a bit of granola.

With Maine apple season fast approaching, I definitely am going to give this recipe a try! How about you?

17 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Yum! It reminds me of the "walking salad" we used to make at summer camp. A cabbage leaf, peanut butter, raisins, and pineapple slices. Sounds weird, but oh so good!
Courtney

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

MAINE APPLE SEASON!!!!! what beautiful words !!!!

our little apple farm opened the end of july...i was there opening day !!!! yipeeeee

and this looks wonderful, my friend

sending love,
kary and teddy
xx

annie said...

MMMMM, sure sounds good!! it would be great right about now!!

Ginny said...

Sounds great, but you better walk and not take the bike yet!, lol

Pondside said...

Well, since I love apples and peanut butter this would be right for my tastebuds.

Farm Girl said...

It sounds wonderful to me. I hope you feel better soon. Was it that bike ride on a humid day?

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Hi dear,

You're so right, it IS the way life should be and I feel so lucky.

Sending love across the short miles,

Sharon

Larkrise garden girl said...

what a beautiful apple and a great recipe.Hugs Cheri

Kim said...

I've never heard of anything like that but boy does it sound yummy!

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Hope you are feeling better by now. Today I told all my Facebook friends that I'm moving to Maine to be near awesome fabric shops and awesome quilters. . . They vetoed the idea so I'm stuck in Virginia with my peeps - but I sure would like to be there for Maine apple season :)

Hugs,
Mary

Cathy G. said...

What a great recipe and idea! A meal in an apple! Okay, maybe not a meal but a good healthy snack! I hope you're feeling better and taking some good bike rides! I hear there's no place like Maine in the Fall!
Hugs!
Cathy G

jennifer768 said...

This sounds yummy! Hugs,Jen

moosecraft said...

I love apples! Especially when they are in season... crisp and sweet! I think I'm liking your spin on the recipe better than the original... :-)

Cammie said...

Sounds yummy, I am always looking for quick simple recipes! Thanks for sharing!
Cammie

Peacemom said...

Sounds like the perfect hiking snack, and I love ground flax seeds, yummy!! We will definitely give this a try as hiking season is approaching. We prefer autumn hiking season to all others.

Thanks for the good wishes and luck over on my blog...if this house works out, it's our "forever" house for sure. And we'd be getting to save a big piece of American history with the gorgeous (but in dire need of work) huge barn attached. We'll see what happens! :^) Have a great weekend!! ~Vonnie

Flat Creek Farm said...

Yum!! I have an apple with natural peanut butter every day. This sounds even better ~ thank you =) -Tammy

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

What a great idea! I could see preparing a few of these for when we're doing firewood. My favorite apple is the Macintosh..that was one of the wonderful things about living in BC...all the wonderful fruit in the Okanagan Valley not far away from where I lived. We never got one apple off our trees this year because of a late frost and then the drought. Maybe next year. I'm going to have fun trying different fillings for these treats!