Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A FOWL OUTTING~

The chicken yard just has not been the same since the death of my girl Gladys...Gladys was a hen with spunk and attitude...I miss her cheery morning greeting and the way her featherless rear end sashayed as she ran  to the coop for her evening treat...since Gladys death the remainder of my hens have remained behind chicken wire...imprisoned...under lock and key...
their daily freedom...sadly...squashed...
However, this past Monday as the temperature made it's way into the mid sixties...with the cold weather and snow becoming but a distant memory...and knowing the weather was to hold long enough to finish our fall yardwork ...I took pity upon my girls and let them loose...but under the strictest supervision... free at last...the hens quickly flew through the coop door and wandered happily about the yard...dust baths were quickly underway and the  dirt did fly...oh...the delightful purring sounds that filled the morning air...pure contentment and joy...

Roosters, Don Juan and Ramon lingered in the background...
however, an ever vigilant eye was kept on their harem...
 sounding the danger alarm when warranted...

Now Miss Sadie Mae is a cat who believes she is a dog...she too had a bit of investigating to do ...it soon became apparent that Sadie Mae... in her former life...had been a outdoor kitty...she was not the least bit shy nor intimidated by the sights and sounds of the great outdoors...Sadie even managed to make her way into the coop while I was in the process of cleaning it...she  settled herself quite nicely into a nesting box... paying the chickens on the nest no heed... happily Sadie continued on her merry way...
it was a day enjoyed all around...sadly it is not to be a routine occurrence... this morning...as Travis and I returned from our morning walk...
an unwelcomed visitor showed up in our front field...a coyote...he appeared well nourished, sported a winter coat...but did have a distinct limp...we(Mr. Dog Trot and I) had been informed by a local trapper of a coyote who was running free with a trap on his leg...through my camera lens I could not make out if there was indeed a trap or not...
 "there shall be no breakfast for you on this day Mr. Coyote"...not here at Dog Trot Farm anyway...
and with that he was off...my girls...once again are behind wire and under lock and key...

16 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i would never sleep if i had so many animals to protect. i love that you handle it so well.

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Julie, glad your chickens did have a freedom day......they are so beautiful.......Sadie Mae looked like she enjoyed herself to........I do feel sad for Mr. Coyote though, no animal should live with a mean trap clapped on it......wish they would find a kinder way to trap.......Sorry the group are under lock and key once again.....but they will be safe......Blessings Francine.

Farm Girl said...

I think we had a coyote a couple weeks ago. My SIL had a big Rhode Island Rooster. Something got him in broad daylight and killed just like a coyote did, and then caught a hen. Things come and go when it starts to get cold.
I love all of your photos today Julie, I am glad your girls did gets some time out before it gets really cold.

Kim said...

I'm so glad that everyone got to enjoy the lovely day out. I can almost see them "frolicking" in the yard. It's a shame they have to be penned up but better than meeting poor sweet Gladys' fate.

Ginny said...

Take a hike Mr.Coyote. Girls and Boys look good.

MTWaggin said...

What a lovely day and your chickens and roosters are gorgeous!

Rugs and Pugs said...

So glad the chickens were able to enjoy a day of freedom without incident. I've never seen a coyote up close and personal nor do I care to!
Great pics!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Michelle said...

Glad that the chickens were able to enjoy the outdoors for a while. We have problems with coyotes too....and foxes, raccoons, opossums, etc....

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

The circle of life for animals is so cruel. I know coyotes need to eat , but they should keep to the wild woodland creatures. Thank goodness all your girls are safe.

nancy huggins said...

We have Coyotes here too..can hear them howling at night but so far have not seen them any where near the house. That is what is keeping us from getting an outside cat..would have to be a big cat but don't want one that will take off either. Guess we will just have to keep setting mouse traps in Garage and red shed:)

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

My daughter and son-in-law's chickens were killed by coyote's. Heartbreaking to put so much love and care into them only to lose them.
They are building a deluxe coop with high fencing and electric wire to protect their next flock.
Love your photo's!
Louise

Julia said...

The chicken are lucky that they got to see some nice sunshine and are back in the safety of the compound. You take great care of your girls. That coyote is better look somewhere else for his next meal.

Have a great and safe weekend.
JB

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Julie I am with Jaz at Octoberfarm. I wish I handled the loss better but I don't so we remain just two at the Tiny Ten. Your pictures of your chickens are great and fun to see them. Sadie Mae has it made at Dog Trot!

Larkrise garden girl said...

When I had my chickens they were pets too and it's hard when something happens. The thing about coyotes is they're so stealth. I am glad everyone had a safe day.Hugs Cheri Your pictures made me smile as I looked at them sipping my tea.Hugs Cheri

Terry and Linda said...

Golly he was CLOSE!!! I'm so sorry about your bird...I always hate losing one my girls. Always.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

abc baby said...

he is still running free julie he likes our backyard!!!!!!