Wednesday, July 29, 2009

FREEDOM

The girl's called a "pow wow" last night. Gladys led the discussion and presented their grievance. Hum, I thought what could this be about? Living conditions? menu? nope. No complaints on the "home front." The girls really appreciate the new additions to their menu; fresh organic lettuce, tomatoes and blueberries. No complaints about the housing conditions, I was informed how much they enjoy "fluffing" in the fresh pine chips. However, it appears after their accidental act of freedom last weekend they would really appreciate a little more time on the" loose." So, this afternoon I opened the coop door and watched the girls march one by one to outer freedom. They looked, listened, grazed and then the wind blew. It was all over, they all marched back to the safety of their coop. I think I heard a sign of relief, oh right, that was me!


9 comments:

Leslie said...

Your girls are beautiful, they have grown so quickly. I also laugh at how funny they are when something new happens, or they see something for the first time. They are such "chickens".

I let mine out for several hours a day in an enclosed yard. I am worried every day that something will happen to them (coyote, dog,hawk etc). I understand how you must feel about giving them that freedom. I plan on making a covered run for them so I can rest a little easier.

Rural Rambler said...

Very sweet. Lovely, beautiful girls. Not so dumb either, they know "life is good" at the coop! Go Gladys! I love ya. But I love Pip too, I love them all....

A New England Life said...

Lets face it, a girl needs her freedom but she also needs to know her limits!

; )

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i love your chicken stories! gladys is very striking in her black and white! you are a good mom so never worry about complaints from the feathered friends.

Anonymous said...

I hope they enjoyed their ramble! We used to let ours free range, until they tucked their purses under their wings and set off for the post office. That would'nt have been so bad, but they stopped in my neighbors garden on their way....

I very much understand the sigh of relief, though! I've signed that same sigh many a time.

CountryFunMaine said...

You are having too much fun. They are gorgeous and getting so big.

Eve said...

Smart birds, that wind sure can be scary!!

DayPhoto said...

You brightened my day with this post!!!

Thank you!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Dog Trot Farm said...

Thanks for the comments on my girl's. I feel like a new mother all over again!