Saturday, July 18, 2009

GOOD SATURDAY

The sun came out this afternoon and I put the finishing touches on the front of the coop; a yellow tin star and a basketful of Daisies. I had to give it a little"chick" effect. The girls huddled together and all were in agreement they liked the "girly "touch.

Lots of sunbathing and dust baths going on this afternoon, the temperature reached 80 plus degrees. It finally feels like summer has arrived in Maine.

My DH (Demon Husband) only kidding, put together the girl's nesting boxes. We are prepared if nothing else. There is not an exterior access door to the boxes. This morning as I was reading a favorite blog, one of this blogs hen's was killed by a raccoon. Those critter's are very crafty ( as we have experienced) the raccoon unlocked the box, killed and decapitated the hen. I am not taking any chances. I want to be able to count all ten heads in the morning!

I never realized that "Hens and Chickens" had the ability to flower like this. These came from my parent's home on the island. I transplanted them about ten years ago and this is the first time I have noticed blossoms. Who knew.

The Cone flowers are beginning to open; these are called Tiki Torch. I love the vibrant color, it adds a nice pop to the flower garden.

The Blue Lace Cap Hydrangea is also making an appearance. Hydrangea's, especially the color blue, are one of my all time favorites. And finally the blueberries are starting to ripen. There won't be enough to make jam this year as the shrubs are only a year old, however, maybe a pie. Life is good!














8 comments:

Cedar said...

Life certainly is good on the farm, that coop looks nice enough to live in,.. the girls are certainly lucky to have such a nice and safe home.

Rural Rambler said...

That coop is darling! Your hens are living "up county"! And it has a wonderful girly touch. I want chickens but Country Husband would have to make a house just that cute for them. And seriously I am not prepared for all the responsibility it takes.

The Tiki Torch Coneflowers are awesome. What a wonderful color!

I'm just loving the coop. Makes me smile this morning. Can't wait to show it to Country Husband when he gets up.

Eve said...

A very "she-she" coop as DH says!! You guys really did a beautiful job Julie. The girls are proud! Well, I'm sure I haven't found my blueberries. I have no idea where they are. Great job Julie!

A New England Life said...

It was a good Saturday wasn't it! Today is lovely too now that the humidity has died down. Hubby and I already went for a nice long walk with the dogs.

Yes, having all heads in the coop in the coop in the morning is certainly a positive thing. And the coop is adorable!!!

I like the cone flowers you have also. Ours are the standard pink color. Can't wait to go BB picking!!!

Sharon

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

your chicken house is so beautiful! seriously! what lucky hens... i read in a 'martha' book that she buries her chicken wire so nothing can dig under the pens that are attached to their house so it is like a big continuous square or rectangle...sounds like a smart idea!

Jenny said...

That Tiki Torch Coneflower is very 70's! Love it! Glad the girls are happy chooks with their girly coop.
Mmmmmmmm! Blueberry Pie!!!!! Toss some over the pond will you please? Ta very much! (-:

Danni said...

You know, I don't have outside access to my nesting boxes and I haven't missed it for a second! I *love* going into my coop every day to check for eggs - and it provides the perfect opportunity to make sure all is well with everyone and everything else inside!

Funny about the hen&chicks plant...ours is doing the same thing. The bloom part is reaching up to the sky...like about 8" and is getting ready to bloom. It looks really funny!

Your coop looks wonderful, by the way. You guys have done a great job!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Thanks everone for your comment's on the girl's coop, my DH came through for all his girls!