Saturday, June 12, 2010

100 PEEPS

First let me say everyone who knows me understands how much I love my chickens, especially my husband who has witnessed my reaction first hand when Mr fox shows up. Also when you reach a certain age in life "you throw caution to the wind" and sometimes act or think like a fool, but you no longer care, (I know you ladies understand what I am talking about) with that being said.... My husband does a lot of road time and overnights with his job. I think he minds this more than I do because it is when I send him pictures like these, his heart skips a beat. "Julie, we are not a chicken hotel", I let that thought linger with him for a brief moment.....
Finally I say, I understand that. A pause and a sigh on his part and I finally admitted the photos was taken at "the farm" down the road. 100 "peeps" are now new residents to the farm. Just look at what I spied on the water jug, a Polish. Now my heart skipped a beat.

"Julie, no more chickens!" However, In my mind I am thinking hum mm... when you introduce a new member to an established flock you sneak her in at night, maybe, just maybe I could attempt that scenario with the Polish. Hum mm......Never say never, that's my motto!


17 comments:

Razzberry Corner said...

Awwww, peepers are so cute!!!! But isn't that baby just too small to introduce to your flock still?

I am looking forward to my 8 chicken eggs which are due to hatch in a week. And right now I have 9 guinea keets which are a week old. So my coop is alive with peeps, too!

Have a great weekend, Julie!
~Lynn

Pondside said...

'Go for it', I say! You know he'll be be captivated. But then of course you could end up with a Polish rooster - and that would be a different story ending altogether.

Jenny wren's nest said...

I know how where you are comming from, I intended to get four americana chicks and ended up with twelve. OOPs, I guess I forgot how to count.
Jenny

Danni said...

Hi Julie...what a funny story! You are terribly wicked to your man, aren't you?! ;-) lol

Sooo.....about integrating a single, white-crested black polish into your flock...
My poor Dottie - as you know, she looks so different from the others, is smaller, twitchier, flightier, much more vocal, and simply has very different behavior from my other 9. As if that wasn't enough to attract negative attention from the "mean girls", she has a huge fluff of sticking-up,white feathers on her head that attract the other hens' beaks like a magnet. There isn't a time where at least 1/2 (if not more) of the feathers aren't missing on her head, often leaving bloody patches behind. I have gone to HUGE lengths to protect her and she's my baby, but I've sworn never again to have a single polish in a flock. Other people may have had a different experience, but this has been mine. (I do love my Dottie so much, though)

Farm Girl said...

I do not know what in the world happens when I walk into the farm store where I buy my chicks. I walk into the chicky room and my mind goes. It is nice to know someone shares my addiction. :) I did wonder when I saw the first picture, 100 is a lot of chicks. :)

Gail said...

That's alotta peeks.

Eve said...

hahahahahahaha!!
CRAZY CHICKEN LADY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness my heart skipped a beat too. As the saying goes the more the merrier.

Linda said...

Same here- I thought "100 babies? Wow"

Peacemom said...

Oh, that's so funny! Sounds like your husband has great sense of humor like mine. Good one! ~Vonnie

Rural Rambler said...

Julie that picture you got of the little Polish standing on the water bottle.....I think he/she is checking out their shadow :) That little Polish is too dang cute standing there with those little chicken feeties. 100 Peeps, I would not have been terribly shocked had they found their way to Dog Trot.

A New England Life said...

Ha ha! Your husband doesn't stand a chance in the world of chickens! The Polish would add a little something to the flock ; )

DayPhoto said...

Awww! I'm right with you! Go for it...at least the Polish.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Leslie said...

For a minute I was thinking of how fun it would be to read all of your future posts about your flock. It was a funny trick to play on your husband, lol.

Finegan Antiques said...

I had two thoughts before I finished you blog. #1 It's a chicken invasion. Cool!
#2. Boy that's a lot of omelettes.
Cool!

Go for it girlfriend.

Donna

CountryFunMaine said...

we'd be happy to watch another little chick grow up:)
we love all the different chicks you have now

Emily said...

Wow! 100 chicks is a LOT. We had 7 hens we got last spring and just got 8 new chicks this spring. One turned out to be a rooster! Not too happy about that, but I love his attempts to crow :) At least thost chicks are close and you can go visit.