Thursday, November 4, 2010

A GRANDDAUGHTER'S DREAM

When my uncle passed away last spring, my aunt returned to my mother some old family photographs, one of which was a picture of my late grandmother -Lida Adelaide Ricker. My mother in turn gifted this photo to me. I had never seen a photo of my grandmother as a child or a young adult. This photo is one hundred years old plus, my grandmother was just shy of ninety-two years old when she passed away. When I look at this photo not only do I see a resemblance, but also the person from whom I inherited my dark brown eyes. My grandmother also held a love for animals and kept a flock of chickens when she was a young wife and mother residing on the Island. When my brother and I were young, "Lile" resided in the city of Portland, Kris and I would take turns spending a few days with her and "Papa Ray" during school vacations. One of my fondest memories was a trip to the "five and dime" where we would sit up to the counter -Lile would have coffee and I a milkshake. Later we would browse the "five and dime" where I was allowed to choose a new book of paper dolls, marbles or stamps.
Lile has been gone twelve years now, and a few days after she passed away I had a very vivid dream about her. I can recall what she was wearing, her fragrance and our conversation. When I awoke I could still feel the warmth from her kiss placed upon my cheek. I felt very comforted by this experience. Later that day, I shared my dream with my mother and I learned she too experienced an identical dream. We described identical clothing, jewelery, perfume even lipstick and coat color. My mother too woke with the warmth on her cheek from my grandmother's kiss. I keep my grandmother safe in my heart and I shall treasure her photo always.


17 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I love that story so much. Because when I lost My Mom, my Dad and my step-mom I had something like that happen and they all told me that they were good and in my dream they looked beautiful and more alive than alive. It comforted me so much too. I guess that is why the older people never spoke ill of the dead because they thought they might hear. As I get older I wonder if well just maybe...
I love the picture too, I also am very partial to brown eyes. My favorite color. :)

It is a lovely post and I like that you went to the 5 and dime. I love that you got paper dolls because I did too. At a lovely antique store in our downtown in the old Woolworths building they still make food at the ole lunch counter. It is my favorite.
Thanks for all of the wonderful memories. Have a wonderful weekend, Julie.

Gail said...

What a wonderful experience!

Kim said...

That's amazing. A few months after my grandma passed I awoke bolt upright in the middle of the night. When I had rolled over I smelled her on my pillow. It was so strong - Oil of Olay which she put on every night at bedtime. It was very comforting.

Holly Hills Primitives said...

What a beautiful photo! It's amazing what our dreams (??) can do for us. Have a great day, Dawn

Verde Farm said...

Julie, what a wonderful post. I've heard of such things happening to others. I dated a twin in college. His father passed away and many times he and his brother would wake up to share an exact dream they had the night before where they dad would come to "visit." I know it was true and I had always hoped my dad would come visit me. I'm so touched by your story.
Amy

acorn hollow said...

What a wonderful way to say good-bye. I have had some weird things happen but nothing that lovely.
I had a native american woman tell my future and past, she knew nothing about me. (before the internet) she told me things that I thought would never come true and she was right on.
thank you
Cathy

Eve said...

Beautiful post Julie! You have such a wonderful history of memories. I love your life on the rocky coast of Maine!

John Going Gently said...

old photos should always be kept and cherished!

Unknown said...

You should join sepia saturday. It is a great site...lots of pictures like yours. Takes us away from this crazy world for a while. A great way to make friends also.

Cindy

aspiritofsimplicity said...

When my father died I had a dream much like the one you describe. I think he had come to say goodbye.

Rural Rambler said...

Julie what a wonderful post to read this morning. I had a special relationship with my Grandma and we used to get on the bus and go to the "five and dime" and have the BEST hot dogs. You took me back this morning. That is just so interesting that your Grandma had a flock of chickens. I have never had a vivid dream about my Grandma or my Mom but I did experience one about my Dad. Sweet post. The picture is a treasure.

Pondside said...

What a lovely dream.
I had a similar dream about the grandmother I never met - the one after whom I was named. She died before I was born, but I'd dream about her when I was troubled or during hard times. Always comforting.
Oddly, the older I get, the more I resemble the photos I have of her. She died when she was just a year younger than I now am.

ClassyGal said...

What a beautiful post, I got teary-eyed reading about it. I lost my grandmother when I was 10 years old and I have had moments too when I thought I could smell her perfume. I miss her alot, the time I had with her I knew she loved me alot. Thank you for sharing this with us.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

what a lovely post...
just beautiful....

i loved that you had Little Women playing...one of my most FAVORITE movies...

i have to get mine out...
i got teary when you said.."and all is right with the world"...

just brought tears of happiness to me.
thanks for stopping by, my friend

kary and teddy
xxx

Birgit said...

What a special photo to treasure and a wonderful experience to bring back such fond memories.
I too, played with my sisters paper dolls, only when she would allow of course.
Blessings to you friend~ Birgit

Unknown said...

How wonderful to have that photo of your grandmother and that dream that you and your mom shared, I often wonder how much of it is a dream. I inherited my grandmother's dark brown eyes, in fact, I'm the spitting image of her. Whenever I meet someone for the first time that knew her as a young woman, I kind of freak them out. I learned not to take it personally! I don't have vivid dreams often but last week I had just such a one, I told her even at 41 I wasn't too old to hug her and we gave each other a big hug. It's such a comforting experience.

Thanks for sharing yours!
~Andrea~

Genny said...

The photo of your grandmother is precious, and your dream visit with her is so wonderful. I think memories like these are very special and need to be retold and remembered whenever possible.