Wednesday, April 20, 2011

BEATRIX POTTER

Delightful Spring....tulips..daffodils..chicks..bunnies....when I think of spring I am also reminded of Beatrix Potter... illustrator and author of the much loved children's stories..."The Tale Of Jemima Puddle-Duck... "The Tale Of Mr. Jeremy Fisher" ..."The Tale Of Squirrel Nutkin"..."The Tailor Of Gloucester" and my personal favorite "The Tale Of Peter Rabbit"...the naughty little bunny who lived with his mother and siblings Flopsy, Mopsy and Cotton-Tail in a sand-bank, underneath the root of a very big fur tree.... A Journal.... is a most wonderful book.... filled with Beatrix' delightful illustrations....photographs....personal letters....family history.... life as a young girl....heartache in the death of a beau....married life at middle age....land owner.... farmer....and savvy business woman. Beatrix was born in London and home schooled....leading a somewhat reclusive life....She had the most incredible imagination and was a true lover of animals....Beatrix did own a pet rabbit named "Peter". the artist....



Beatrix' personal copy of The Tale Of Peter Rabbit....


Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-Tail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper....



Christmas cards...

I hold such fond memories reading these stories to my two now grown sons....


Peter who not only lost his shoes...his blue coat with gold buttons....went to bed with a stomach ache....due to eating to much in Mr. McGregor's garden....naughty bunny....this is what happens when you do not listen to your mother!....


If you are a fan of Miss Potter... as am I... you will thoroughly enjoy this book....a true insight to a most remarkable woman....


So on this cold wet April day...I kept the wood fire burning....pulled out the hot cocoa machine....and dreamed of spring days to come...

14 comments:

Terry said...

Have you watched the movie "Miss Potter?" A wonderful telling of her life. Very worth seeing! Also, a recent biography out (can't remember the title) also well worth reading.
My favorite story? The Tale of Two Bad Mice. My son had me read it night after night.

Julia said...

Wouldn't it be something if w could bring her back. I love her books and illustrations. What a great artist, JB

A Primitive Homestead said...

I remember as a child in grade school visiting the library & checking out these beloved green books. Always easy to find being green & small. They fit so perfectly into small hands. The tales inside the covers of each so wonderful. The water color pictures so beautiful. I still love them. Blessings!
Lara

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I have all of these little books and read them to my sons too! I just adore them. Your pictures are beautiful and I will certainly look up this journal of hers!
Stay cozy, until the warmth finally arrives!
Courtney

Larkrise garden girl said...

It is so amazing how many times I am on the same page as friends. I just found my daughters beatrix Potter little books I read to her as a child.I have them sitting on my computer desk.

Denise said...

I'm hoping to be outside some tomorrow and Friday, then some fun sewing with the girls on Saturday morning. Easter sounds wet, but it will be warm inside with family.

Have a blessed Easter.

Denise

Farm Girl said...

I have always loved Beatrix Potter and I will be getting that book. That is such a pretty one, thank you for showing it. I read them over and over to my kids. My favorite, Miss Tiggy Winkle. :)

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hi Julie!
I LOVE Beatrix Potter and her wonderful books. I bought the movie Miss Potter and love watching it just to see her cottage and gardens! This book looks like something I would really enjoy...I'll have to look it up. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! Our weather has been really strange...we're in a drought and yet have severe storm and tornado warnings but nothing happens and no rain and its darn cold out there and dull. I think we could all use a bit more sunshine this week. I hope the rest of your week is sunny and warm. Take care!
Maura :)

The Barn Door said...

Such beautiful artwork she did. Sorry it's not very springy there, but the hot cocoa sounds wonderful!

Holly Hills Primitives said...

How your post makes me yern for spring! What a nice tribute to a wonderful author/artist. Hope you have a "warm" weekend, Dawn

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh take me back baby!!! My mom and dad bought the property Dad's one room school house was on. It was filled with desk but best of all it had the old books. One that Dad brought in was "The Tale of Peter Rabbit." I read and reread that book! I only wish I had the old hard cover now to read to my Grandkiddos!!!

Thanks for sharin' Beatrix with me again.

God bless and have a fantastic day!!!

BTW: I'm havin' a Happy Easter Giveaway...ya'll come!!!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I love all her children's books. I use to read them to my children when they were small..Happy memories.

Ginny said...

Happy Easter, thanks for the well wishes, feeling better everyday!

Nina said...

And even better, Beatrix Potter began the National Trust in Great Britain. What a wonderful way to remember her.