Monday, December 2, 2013

~TIS' THE SEASON~

I hope each and everyone of you...my friends...had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday...We here at Dog Trot Farm enjoyed a wonderful day with family and friends...Bright and early Friday morning...with the aroma of turkey still lingering in the air...I joined my parents and headed down the bay to Long Island, my childhood home...It was a windy, brisk, cold day... but beautiful nonetheless...
The main item on the agenda, putting up and decorating the Christmas tree...Now, for many years my parents had a live Christmas tree, one cut from their surrounding property...as the years passed artificial trees came into the picture..one Christmas it was a white Christmas tree... naturally offsetting my mother's beautiful Christopher Radko and Old World ornaments...this year it is a tall, slim tree... equally as stunning...(my mother will probably kill me for telling you she picked this tree up off  the side of the road...yes, it was in a box that said "free for the taking") 
Sunday,  I boarded the noon ferry for my return trip to the mainland...Once back at Dog Trot Farm the boxes, bulbs and bangles quickly made their appearance... soon the Christmas tree was up...The month of December is such a busy time of year,  I attempt to remain committed to enjoying each and every moment...however rushed and hectic it may become...
The Tasha Tudor advent calender is in place and as you may have noticed I have neglected to open it's windows for December... day one and two...Travis LLoyd and I became so busy making cookies...we completely forgot... Mr. Dog Trot has been busy too... the sawdust has been flying down in his workshop...  a special Christmas present is under construction for Travis...Christmas after all, comes from the heart...
but... thank goodness  this jolly old fella comes to help us out...
Believe...always believe in the magic that is Christmas...

16 comments:

Pondside said...

It's magic - definitely. Children certainly help the magic along, and it sounds like you and Travis Lloyd are having a lot of fun!

Earlene said...

Love the trees.
Hey, good for your mom, I would have picked it up too.
Enjoy every bit of the season, I love this time of the year.
Hugs
Earlene

Jacque. said...

I love how you embrace life. xo

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Julie, ohhh, your posts warm me so, love to visit with you......Such pretty tree's, now I want to put mine up but we do go cut our own real tree, just cannot put a fake tree up.......Yes, we must enjoy the magic of this special holiday, eat cookie's and sing carols, Big Hugs Francine.

Margaret said...

Thanks for visiting our island :) We have missed you :) Sounds like a great Thanksgiving holiday!

ctlogcabin said...

Julie~~ Your Mom's Tree looks Beautiful
as does yours.
Neat how she acquired it also. lol
What a great age Travis is always more Fun when
there are little ones around.
I too try to enjoy each an every moment of this fast
moving busy Christmas Season.
Merry Christmas, Blessings
& Hugs to you & yours~ Connie xox

Julia said...

I'm glad that your mom opened her home for that roadside free for the taking tree.... It's gorgeous. She did a great job decorating it.

Making memories with Travis is so special. I can't wait to see what Mr. Dog Trot is making for Travis.
Stay warm and safe.
Hugs,
JB

Farm Girl said...

Always such a treat to get to see what you have been doing and I love looking at all of your wonderful things. That is a wonderful Santa.
So many good things this year. Have a wonderful week.

Anonymous said...

So happy you had a great Thanksgiving! We did too.. :) The tree goes up this week. I hope. Or we just might make do with my Mom's foot and a half ceramic tree that has to be 40 years old! It's already up and sparkling!

MTWaggin said...

Can't wait to enjoy Christmas thru your posts!

Eve said...

I was looking foe the pickle on Auntie Bev's tree!!!!!

acorn hollow said...

I think it is great to get a free tree! We always had a real tree too cut from my grandfather's land. But we found out early that my daughter was allergic so we have had artificial tree since and I don't mind at all.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

The tree looks like the one we have this year. beautiful.

annie said...

her tree is beautiful!
love the tale!

enjoy catching up with you so much!

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Love the tree. You do have some great adventures Julie.
Janet

Tessa~ said...

Oh what a beautiful blog you have! Beautiful photos and beautiful words... I'm so happy to have come across it.

Since your husband is a woodworker, did he carve that gorgeous Santa? I notice such things, because my husband has been a life-long woodworker. :-)

Reading about him, down in his workshop, making a special Christmas present, for your son... Brings back lovely memories.

Gentle hugs,
Tessa~